The reality is that being able to drive is not a luxury but a necessity. There are many ways to lose you driving privileges. There is no way we could explain all the ways to lose your license, we are putting up the “majors” to help you make a decision. We are not saying that you need a lawyer with every traffic offense (although just about all of them are misdemeanors punishable by up to 12 months in jail), we are saying that if you enter a plea thinking that “no points” will not increase your insurance of get it cancelled, you could be wrong, and if you are, it will typically be too late and you won’t be able to go in and modify your plea.

The accumulation of “points” (usually convictions of multiple offenses for a 24 month period) is not the only way to lose your license.

The Department of Driver’s Services is required by law to suspend the privileges of an individual for a conviction of any of the following offenses:

  1. Refusal to take a chemical test for intoxication
  2. Failure to appear in court or respond to a citation
  3. Non-payment of Child Support
  4. Non-payment of the Super Speeder fee
  5. Homicide by vehicle
  6. Feticide by Vehicle (1st degree)
  7. Serious injury by vehicle
  8. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  9. Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used
  10. Using a motor vehicle in fleeing or attempting to elude an officer
  11. Fraudulent or fictitious use of, or application for, a license/ID card
  12. Hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident
  13. Racing
  14. Failure to Pay for Gasoline
  15. Operating a motor vehicle with a revoked, canceled, or suspended registration
  16. Felony forgery related to an identification document
  17. Driving without insurance
  18. Driving while license is suspended, revoked, or canceled
  19. Any violation of the Georgia Controlled Substance Act
  20. Violation of license restriction (at the discretion of the trial court)

There may be strategies available to keep your license, even for conviction for these sorts of offenses. Call us today at 678-331-3131.